Welcome to the MDTAXES Message Board

The MDTAXES Network is an affiliation of CPAs that specialize in the tax planning and preparation for young health care professionals.  Please leave your questions or comments for our CPAs, who visit the message board regularly, or review the answers, suggestions and ideas posted in response to your colleagues' questions.

Please check out our other Message Boards available at www.FindAGoodCPA.com.

Please note: We are NOT affiliated with the Maryland Tax Department. If you're looking for information about Maryland income taxes, go to www.marylandtaxes.com.

Moonlighting & Locum Tenens
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
state taxes while doing locums

I do locums in several states. I have a LLC registered in Tennessee. Do I have to pay state income taxes for a locums job that I did in Oklahoma for 5 months?

I am paid by a locums company located in Texas. I wonder how the Oklahoma state tax authorities would know that I worked in their state since I am paid by a company located in Texas. Also my 1099 form from my locums company has a texas address on it.

Zip Code: 38134

Re: state taxes while doing locums

Here is what I found out about the Oklahoma rules for taxing non-residents of that state who earn income within that state at http://www.tax.ok.gov/it2009/511NR-PKT-09.pdf:

The sources of income taxable to a nonresident are:
(1) Salaries, wages and commissions for work performed
in Oklahoma.
(2) Income from an unincorporated business, profession,
enterprise or other activity as the result of work
done, services rendered, or other business activities
conducted in Oklahoma.*
(3) Distributive share of the Oklahoma part of partnership
income, gains, losses or deductions.*
( 4) Distributive share from Sub-chapter S Corporations
doing business in Oklahoma.*
(5) Net rents and royalties from real and tangible personal
property located in Oklahoma.
(6) Gains from the sales or exchanges of real and tangible
personal property located in Oklahoma.
(7) Income received from all sources of wagering,
games of chance or any other winnings from sources
within this state. Proceeds which are not money shall be taken into account at fair market value.

* This includes Limited Liability Companies (LLCs).

Zip Code: 01801