Welcome to the MDTAXES Message Board

The MDTAXES Network is an affiliation of CPAs that specialize in the tax planning and preparation for young health care professionals.  Please leave your questions or comments for our CPAs, who visit the message board regularly, or review the answers, suggestions and ideas posted in response to your colleagues' questions.

Please check out our other Message Boards available at www.FindAGoodCPA.com.

Please note: We are NOT affiliated with the Maryland Tax Department. If you're looking for information about Maryland income taxes, go to www.marylandtaxes.com.

Home Ownership
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Mortgage paid off by a family member

The simple answer is yes and the parent will have to file a gift tax return. The answer to the follow-up question, "Will they have to pay any gift taxes?" really depends on their previous gifting history - unless they have already made gifts in excess of $5,000,000 the answer should be no. If the parent is not a US citizen, however, the answer changes and there are filing requirements that you will have to comply with as the recipient of the gift. I am happy to have you contact me if you have any additional questions.

Neil L. Cohen
Woodman & Eaton, P.C.
Concord, MA 01742
ncohen@woodmaneaton.com

Zip Code: 01742

Re: Mortgage paid off by a family member

Thanks Neil.

More information about filing a Gift Tax Return, Form 709, is available at:

www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f709.pdf for the form
or www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i709.pdf for the instructions.

Foreign gifts and inheritances need to be reported to the IRS on a Form 3520 - www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f3520.pdf for the form
or www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i3520.pdf for the instructions.

Neil has helped my firm's clients with both of these forms.

Zip Code: 01801