Welcome to the MDTAXES Message Board

The MDTAXES Network is an affiliation of CPAs that specialize in the tax planning and preparation for young health care professionals.  Please leave your questions or comments for our CPAs, who visit the message board regularly, or review the answers, suggestions and ideas posted in response to your colleagues' questions.

Please check out our other Message Boards available at www.FindAGoodCPA.com.

Please note: We are NOT affiliated with the Maryland Tax Department. If you're looking for information about Maryland income taxes, go to www.marylandtaxes.com.

Temporary Job Assignments
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Mileage Deduction for Temporary Job Assignment

I am doing a fellowship for one year and then heading back to the hospital I left.  I had discussed this with you earlier and it seemed that I could qualify for the temporary job assignment deduction. 

When doing this, I plan and deducting my rent and utilities but then on transportation, do I deduct gas or mileage calculating how far to and from work x the number of work days I attend?

Re: Mileage Deduction for Temporary Job Assignment

It's my understanding that if this one-year job qualifies as a temporary job assignment, the whole time you are away is treated as one long business trip. If that's the case, then all of your mileage while away from home should be deductible. You can base this deduction on the standard mileage rate currently at 55.5 cents per mile, or on actual expenses incurred.

Zip Code: 01801