Welcome to the MDTAXES Message Board

The MDTAXES Network is an affiliation of CPAs that specialize in the tax planning and preparation for young health care professionals.  Please leave your questions or comments for our CPAs, who visit the message board regularly, or review the answers, suggestions and ideas posted in response to your colleagues' questions.

Please check out our other Message Boards available at www.FindAGoodCPA.com.

Please note: We are NOT affiliated with the Maryland Tax Department. If you're looking for information about Maryland income taxes, go to www.marylandtaxes.com.

Temporary Job Assignments
Start a New Topic 
resident with question about claiming permanent residency for taxes...

i am currently doing my residency in OH. my wife and i are orgianlly from IL. due to residency, we have been traveling from state to state. currently, we are both employed in OH and rent an apartment. yet, we are moving to GA for a fellowship the summer of 2010. when we file for taxes... what should be our strategy for filing our permanent residency? we are both from IL and plan to head back there. Can we still claim IL as our permanent residence despite being employed here and renting here. Thanks...

Zip Code: 43601

Re: resident with question about claiming permanent residency for taxes...

No, you wouldn’t be able to claim residency in IL unless you had moved out of IL for one year or less and immediately returned. This would be considered a “temporary” job move, which does not seem like the case.

In your situation, you would file an OH return for the period you lived and worked there in 2009 (which sounds like the entire year). In 2010, you would file part-year residency returns in OH and GA for the months you lived and worked in each state. Then, in the year you finish your fellowship and presumably move back to IL, you would file part-year GA and IL returns.

Zip Code: 10021