The Navigator Stove Forum

The Navigator Stove Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Crimped Increaser/Reducer (Residential)

Hello, Navigator Stove Forum!

I am putting in a Little Cod stove into a cabin. I am going to use 6" stove pipe and chimney pipe, running and increaser off of the top of the stove.

On the 'marine' section of the manual, it states: "Round stove pipe must be hand formed to an oval shape which will then slide onto the stove’s oval flue collar."

On the 'residential' section of the manual, it states: "On the Round stove pipe must be hand formed to an oval shape which will then slide into the stove’s oval flue collar."

The manual also states "crimped end toward the stove".

The increasers I have found have a crimp on the top (6") side, without a crimp on the bottom (4") side. Alternatively, the reducers have the crimp on the bottom (4") side. For a residential installation, should I use the reducer in place of an increaser, to ensure the crimp is facing toward the stove, as per the manual?

Thank you!

Re: Crimped Increaser/Reducer (Residential)

First, you will have an impossible time of trying to have the 4" end of a 6x4 R/I fitting go oval at the stove. At the cast stove oval is the only point in the pipe run where the rule is broken and the pipe goes over the oval. It's nice also to caulk that joint from inside AFTER the pipe is installed. What I'd do is put the R/I at the "down end" of the insulated pipe run and then use 4" single wall pipe from that point down to the stove. Even if you could make happen what you propose, to my eye, 6" S.W. pipe on top of a small stove looks odd/top heavy. This is the common way of transitioning between 6>4 if one wants to use 6" insulated pipe. A/NSW