Return to Website

Pacific Northwest Cavalry Reenacting

Welcome! This is mainly a "local" forum for American Civil War cavalry reenactors in the Pacific Northwest. It will have dates of events and trainings as well as any items of interest.

Pacific Northwest Cavalry Reenacting
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
I am looking for the Company historian

Good day Sirs:

I am looking for the Company historian. Could we discuss the following details?

According to family oral history, I am a descendant of one of the 9th Virginia troopers named John Rogers, said to be from Winchester VA.

I see several Rogers including one named John in the rosters, though there is no unit bearing the name of the Virginia County containing the town of Winchester.

I have a couple of war stories handed down in the family which I would like to authenticate. One of these involves a raid across the Potomac River on a B&O ammunition train at the beginning of the war in 1861 in which weapons were said to be acquired by the 9th, which weapons were intended for the Feds.

Our family has two of these weapons which include a Starr cal 44 cap & ball double action pistol with a set trigger, and a Union Officer's sword which was, of course intended for the Feds.

We also have a Tower Enfield patent 1862 . This weapon is engraved LS on the stock, and the story of which ancestor acquired it or carried it is uncertain. Our weapons are 95%, not junk. The sword has the original leather scabbard.

My hear-say information was de-facto verified in 1961 during the reenactment at Bull Run/Anteitam battlefield in which I and my father participated under NSSA and served under officers of the 9th Reenactment Unit. Dad told me that day that certain reenacter's from the Winchester area had pistols with sequencing serial numbers and these descendants’ had similar stories from their family ancestors.

During the reenactment, Senior Officer's arm was broken when he charged a cannon emplacement, fell off his horse and as the cannoneers were rotating the gun, it ran over this officer's arm breaking it above the elbow. The next day the Officer was riding with the arm set and in a sling. I was just 15 years old at the time, my father has passed away without any documentation etc. We did carry the family weapons in the reenactment.

Any light you could shed on this handed-down history would be appreciated.

If you cannot give me assistance, I will understand and ask that you would direct me to someone you feel has access to such history.

Sincerely yours,

Peter V. Rogers
petenp434@aol.com