Return to Website

New Covenant Ministries & Fellowship's Discussion Forum

Welcome to New Covenant Ministries & Fellowship Discussion Forum. Here you can discuss Bible topics, ministry concerns, or encouragement for your brethren. Thank you for joining us!

New Covenant Ministries & Fellowship's Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Who's Land is it Anyway?

"Touch not mine anointed, and do my prophets no harm" (Psalm 105:15). This brief verse contains a powerful warning from our Lord. And he means every word of it: woe to any nation or individual who lays a hand on those who are chosen of God. And woe to anyone who does harm to his prophets.

We mainly think of this warning in reference to Old Testament prophets or present-day ministers who stand for truth. It appears to be a declaration of God's protection over his servants. But the context of the warning reveals a further meaning. It also has to do with a covenant God made with Abraham. In the covenant, God promised to give Abraham title to the land of Canaan:

"He hath remembered his covenant for ever, the word which he commanded to a thousand generations. Which covenant he made with Abraham...and to Israel for an everlasting covenant: saying, Unto thee will I give the land of Canaan, the lot of your inheritance: when they were but a few men in number...when they went from one nation to another, from one kingdom to another people; he suffered no man to do them wrong: yea, he reproved kings for their sakes Psalm 105:8-14

Psalm 78 also refers to this land covenant God made with Abraham: "He brought them to the border of his sanctuary, even to this mountain, which his right hand had purchased" (78:54). We're told God bought Canaan with his own hand. Then "he cast out the heathen also before them, and divided them an inheritance by line, and made the tribes of Israel to dwell in their tents" (78:55).

The Lord himself marked the boundaries for his people's land. He established "an inheritance by line," setting the borders "from Jordan to the sea." In other words, God drew the map. It was as if he stood on a mountain and measured out Canaan's boundaries by his Spirit, saying, "So many miles north, so many south, so many east and west."

In short, the Lord gave his people a permanent land grant, through his covenant with Abraham. And the Israelites were led into this inheritance by Moses. By God's command, they drove out all the wicked nations occupying the land. And as they settled into their land of promise, God made a distinction between them and other nations. They became known as his "chosen," a consecrated, anointed people.

The Lord allowed "no man to do them wrong: yea, he reproved kings for their sakes; saying, Touch not mine anointed, and do my prophets no harm" (105:14-15).

Moses, God's prophet, stated, "The Most High...set the bounds of the people according to the number of the children of Israel" (Deuteronomy 32: . This meant the boundaries God set for his people were to be the seat of his church. And out of this Old Testament nation would come his New Testament church.

When God issued his warning, he put humankind on notice: "I chose these people to be my portion. And I anointed them to be separated unto me. From that time forward, I have never allowed any person or nation to do them harm."

You may object, "But the Jews have suffered horribly throughout history. What about Hitler and the Holocaust?" Yes, Israel has suffered great harm. But those who harmed them always suffered dire consequences. God's warning tells us, "When you touch my anointed, you do so at great peril. It will cost you everything."

Germany paid a terrible price for its evil. Not only was that nation bombed and its cities razed, but the people suffered hardship for decades. From Germany's history, I hear God's Word ring loudly: "Touch not mine anointed."

Indeed, since the time of Abraham, the whole world has been subject to God's warning: "Don't harm my people, Israel. And don't touch or remove their borders, which I myself measured out for them." It doesn't matter what our politics may be, or what we may think of Israel. God will judge any people who touch that nation or its borders. If any country dares to, it does so at the cost of its own future.

America has been Israel's best friend and protector since it became a nation again in 1948. Like every other country, we have to heed God's warning not to harm his people. Yet our President's declaration regarding Israel frightens me.

Since the September 11 attacks, America has led the effort to build a coalition of nations against the terrorists. The coalition wants to include Arab nations, but many are sworn enemies of Israel. Now, as a concession for Arab support, the U.S. President is seeking the establishment of a Palestinian state.

The proposed Palestinian state would be carved out of territory that God assigned to Israel by covenant. Also, the Palestinians are demanding that a portion of Jerusalem be given to them for their capitol. Such a move would go directly against God's warning. It would harm his chosen by altering their borders. And it would mock Moses, God's prophet, who stated, "The Most High gave us this land."

Please don't think I'm delving into politics. As a watchman of God, I am called to preach his Word. Moreover, I'm not against a Palestinian state. Yet I believe if there is such a state, it should be carved out of Jordan rather than Israel. Scripture makes it clear: Israel's borders are a spiritual matter, not just a political one.

So be watchful and be prayerful for this Land is God's Land given to His chosen people for an EVERLASTING Covenant and anyone who tries to change it will have God Himself to deal with.