Return to Website

New Covenant Ministries & Fellowship's Discussion Forum

Welcome to New Covenant Ministries & Fellowship Discussion Forum. Here you can discuss Bible topics, ministry concerns, or encouragement for your brethren. Thank you for joining us!

New Covenant Ministries & Fellowship's Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Ephesians Study Continued

I am sorry that it has taken so long to post this part of my study in the book of Ephesians, but I have been so busy with other things. Anyway we were discussing the "Mystery of His Will" so let us continue.......

So what then is the “mystery of His will?” It is “that the Gentiles should be fellow heirs, and of the same body, and partakers of His promise in Christ through the gospel” (Ephesians 3:6). Here the mystery is defined, that ““in Christ” (there is that phrase again) through the Gospel the Gentiles are co-heirs, and co-partners in His promise.” Christ is to Paul the center and the sum of the mysteries of Divine truth. Jesus said of Himself: “I am the Way the Truth and the Life”(John 14:6). In Colossians Paul calls Christ “the mystery of God,” “in whom are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge” (Colossians 2:2-3). The mystery of God, discovered in Christ, was hidden out of the sight and reach of previous generations, but now by the preaching of the Gospel it is revealed and made known to all men. Look at what Paul writes in Colossians 2:26-28: “the mystery which has been hidden from ages and from generations, but now has been revealed to His saints.

For to them God would make known what are the riches of the glory of this mystery among the nations, which is Christ in you, the hope of glory, whom we preach, warning every man and teaching every man in all wisdom, so that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus.”

But we must take notice of the fact that this mystery is only “made known” or “revealed” to “His Saints.” Only the “renewed mind”(Ephesians 4:23) can grasp such revelation, only those who have been, as the Apostle Peter says “quickened by the Spirit,” (1 Peter 3:1 can comprehend the riches of Gods grace “in Christ.”

We must never forget that God has revealed this “according to His good pleasure which He purposed in Himself.” God chose the means, God chose the method, God chose us in His dear Son, “according to His good pleasure which He purposed in Himself.” (Ephesians 1:9)

But we must move on, and in verse 10 we find out why God redeemed us by the blood of His Son Jesus and made known to us the mystery of His will – that is that the Gentiles also would be partakers in His promise - it is that “in the dispensation of the fullness of times He might gather together in one all things in Christ, both which are in heaven, and which are on earth; even in him.” “In Him” Paul tells us “There cannot be Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is no male nor female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus” (Galatians 3:2 .

Not only that but the gathering together of all things in Christ by the Father also means the removal of the enmities which are the effect of sin – “For He is our peace, who hath made both one, and hath broken down the middle wall of partition between us, Having abolished in his flesh the enmity, even the law of commandments contained in ordinances; for to make in himself of twain one new man, so making peace; and that he might reconcile both unto God in one body by the cross, having slain the enmity thereby” (Ephesians 2:14-16), and the subjection of all powers in Heaven and earth to the rule of Christ – “He seated Him at His right hand in the heavenly places, (Psalm. 110:1) far above all rule, and authority, and power, and lordship, and every name having been named, not only in this age, but also in the coming age; and He "put all things under His feet" and gave Him to be Head over all things to the Church” (Ephesians 1:20-23).

Finally in this section, where we are looking at the part that the Son played in God’s plan of redemption, we see that “In Him also we have obtained an inheritance, being predestined according to the purpose of Him who works all things according to the counsel of His will, that we who first trusted in Christ should be to the praise of His Glory” (Ephesians 1:11-12).

There is a wonderful story that will illustrate how we come into this inheritance:

A wealthy man and his son loved to collect rare works of art. They had everything in their collection, from Picasso to Raphael. They would often sit together and admire the great works of art. When the Viet Nam conflict broke out, the son went to war. He was very courageous and died in battle while rescuing another soldier. The father was notified and grieved deeply for his only son. About a month later, just before Christmas, there was a knock at the door. A young man stood at the door with a large package in his hands. He said, "Sir, you don't know me, but I am the soldier for whom your son gave his life. He saved many lives that day, and he was carrying me to safety when a bullet struck him in the heart and he died instantly. He often talked about you, and your love for art. The young man held out his package. "I know this isn't much. I'm not really a great artist, but

I think your son would have wanted you to have this." The father opened the package. It was a portrait of his son, painted by the young man. He stared in awe at the way the soldier had captured the personality of his son in the painting.

The father was so drawn to the eyes that his own eyes welled up with tears. He thanked the young man and offered to pay him for the picture. "Oh, no sir, I could never repay what your son did for me. It's a gift. "The father hung the portrait over his mantle. Every time visitors came to his home he took them to see the portrait of his son before he showed them any of the other great works he had collected. The man died a few months later.

There was to be a great auction of his paintings. Many influential people

gathered, excited over seeing the great paintings and having an opportunity

to purchase one for their collection. On the platform sat the painting of the son. The auctioneer pounded his gavel. "We will start the bidding with this picture of the son. Who will bid for this picture?" There was silence. Then a voice in the back of the room shouted, "We want to see the famous paintings. Skip this one." But the auctioneer persisted, "Will someone bid for this painting? Who will start the bidding? $100, $200?" Another voice shouted angrily, "We didn't come to see this painting. We came to see the Van Goghs, the Rembrandts. Get on with the real bids!" But still the auctioneer continued, "The son! "The son! Who'll take The son?" Finally, a voice came from the very back of the room. It was the long time gardener of the man and his son. "I'll give $10 for the painting." Being a poor man, it was all he could afford. "We have $10, who will bid $20?" "Give it to him for $10. Let's see the masters." "$10 is the bid, won't someone bit $20?" The crowd was becoming angry. They didn't want the picture of the son. They wanted the more worthy investments for their collections. The auctioneer pounded the gavel. "Going once, twice, SOLD for $10!" A man sitting on the second row shouted, "Now, let's get on with the collection!"

The auctioneer laid down his gavel, "I'm sorry, the auction is over." "What about the paintings?" someone shouted. "I am sorry. When I was called to conduct this auction, I was told of a secret stipulation in the will. I was not allowed to reveal that stipulation until this time. Only the painting of the son would be auctioned. Whoever bought that painting would inherit the entire estate, including the paintings. The man who took the son gets everything!"

God has purposed from the foundation of the world that whoever takes the Son would inherit all things. Why? “That we……should be to the praise of His Glory.”